Don’t DRINK the Water

The Festival of Lights falls on Christmas Eve this year, so I pawed together a little ditty to mark the occasion:
____________________ 

Davi’s Holiday Tail (parody of “’Twas the Night Before Christmas”)

On the night before Christmas, what’s a Jewish dog to do?
Light my menorah of silver and blue.

I’ll fetch my dreidel from under the chair,
And leave latkes for Santa and his eight reindeer.

Then curl up in my stocking lying next to the tree,
And dream of doing mitzvah for a local charity.

From glittery decorations to gift wrap,homes are packed with holiday hazards. For pets — like me — who are celebrating the Hanukkah-Christmas mashup, these tips for staying safe this holiday season will help:

Skip the Boughs of Holly 
Mistletoe and holly might spruce up a home, but they’re highly poisonous — even deadly. Poinsettias are relatively harmless, but can lead to vomiting and drooling, if eaten, especially for cats. Opt for just-as-jolly silk plants instead — it’s a safer choice.

Let There Be Light Safely 
Curious canines and cats can knock over a lit candle in a split second and start a fire or burn a paw. Switch to flameless candles. They provide the same flickering light as real candles without the risks. If using real candles for Hanukkah, place the menorah up high and out of reach.

Pet-Proof the Tree 
For pets, a Christmas tree can look like a giant toy rack. Securely anchor the tree to keep pets from knocking it over. Glass ornaments should be kept high. One tail wag can wipe out an entire limb of delicate decorations, leaving shards of glass that can cut a paw. This goes for edible ornaments, too, which can cause choking and leave a tree suddenly bare. Sweep frequently to avoid pine needles from being ingested and causing potential problems. Cover the tree-stand dish to stop pets from drinking harmful water. Last, do not hang lights on lower branches. Not only can pets get tangled up in the cords, they may be shocked by biting through the wires.

Tidings on Tinsel 
Pets love this sparkly strip of foil. It shines, dangles and comes alive with the slightest breeze. But tinsel is possibly the most dangerous holiday decoration for pets. If ingested, even a few strands, it can become twisted in the intestines and cause serious problems. It’s best to use it sparingly — or not at all.

Holiday Sweets Are Not Dog Treats 
It’s tempting to include pets in the holiday feast, but remember that human food can be deadly, especially rich, fatty foods. Don’t even give a dog a bone! Real bones can splinter easily, causing damage to the throat and intestine. Other dangerous foods are alcoholic beverages, chocolate, coffee, grapes, raisins, nuts, onions and salt. To be safe, don’t give your animal friends any human food!

Wired Up 
Pets often want to chew on electrical cords and lights, which can cause a serious, even fatal electric shock. Keep cords and wires covered and out of paws’ — and mouths’ — reach.

Happy Holidays!

____________________

Davi the dachshund has been so good all year, he’s a paw-in for presents all eight nights of Hanukkah.

About FOLIO