Mighty Oaks Music Festival

MUSIC_mightyoak_poster_2_fiWhen: August 15th & 16th
Where: 5 Points
Info: mightyoakfest.com

Florida State University graduates Jonathan Nasrallah and Andrew Chafin first thought of Tallahassee as a location for the Mighty Oak Music Festival. Then, the two decided to bring it to their hometown, Jacksonville, since they felt that the State Capitol didn’t have the right infrastructure for the event. Jonathan also cited the “influx of art and culture” in Jacksonville over the last few years, attributing events such as One Spark and like-minded people motivated to fuel local culture as primary proponents of the swing towards the arts.

The real genesis of the event is Nasrallah and Chafin’s hope to amplify the scope of the musical diversity of the region, while highlighting the fantastic venues in the area and providing a “welcoming environment to listen to some damn good music.”

The festival will take place in various venues throughout 5 Points including Raindogs, Sun-Ray Cinema, and Deep Search Records. The diverse lineup is a showcase of independent bands from across Florida, as varied as indie and folk, to electronic and punk. There are also two bands from Tennessee and two from Seattle.

It is important to Nasrallah and Chafin that the festival possess a DIY ethos, so much so that 90% of the ticket sales are going straight to the performers. They are only hoping to recoup their own administrative and advertising costs with the remaining 10%. Tickets are only $20 for the full event, which boasts 35 bands, including some Jacksonville favorites: Opiate Eyes, Fjord Explorer, and Data Diamond.

They are still working to get additional sponsorships from local and regional businesses. Currently a handful of restaurants and bars are participating, including Black Sheep and Intuition Ale Works. Further announcements about discounts for festival-goers at several neighborhood shops and restaurants will be coming soon. Additional assistance has come from both a South Florida publication called Pure Honey, and a Jacksonville-based record label called Formalogic.

The event will kick off on Friday, August 15th at 8pm. On Saturday, the 16th, music will start around 2pm. It will go well into the night on both evenings. See you there!

About Brenton Crozier

Brenton has lived in Jacksonville for nearly 25 years and worked in various capacities in the digital marketing industry. He was the Multimedia Producer for the NPR show, State of the Re:Union and has written for EU Jacksonville for more than 7 years. Follow him on Twitter: @brentoncrozier.

april, 2022

X
X