Jacksonville’s Confederate Monuments and Memorials
Monument to Women of the Confederacy
Confederate Park, 956 Hubbard St.
This monument is a bronze sculpture of a mother with two children inside a 47-foot-tall granite rotunda. Atop the dome is a second figure of a young woman clasping a half-furled Confederate flag. The city of Jacksonville changed the name of Digman Park to Confederate Park after the 24th United Confederates Veterans Reunion here in 1914. The United Confederate Veterans raised $12,000 for the memorial. The state legislature paid the remaining $13,000. It was dedicated in 1915. When, decades later, the city opened a small dog park on the edge of Confederate Park, it too took the Confederate name.
Florida Confederate Soldiers Memorial
Hemming Plaza, 117 Duval St.
This is a 62-foot granite shaft topped by a Confederate soldier at rest. A bronze plaque at the base honors Florida Gen. J.J. Dickinson and Gens. Kirby Smith, Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson, as well as all Confederate soldiers. The $20,000 memorial was paid for by Confederate veteran Charles G. Hemming and his wife, Lucy Key Hemming. The city renamed its town square from St. James Park to Hemming Plaza to honor them. The statue was dedicated in June 1898.
Camp Captain Mooney Cemetery
Ellis Road South and Harold Avenue
Camp Captain Mooney Cemetery contains five Confederate graves owned by the United Daughters of the Confederacy. It sits on the site where Confederate soldiers were killed by 500 mounted members of the 40th Massachusetts on their return to Jacksonville after being defeated at Olustee in 1864.
Old City Cemetery
East Union and Cemetery streets
More than 250 Confederate veterans are buried here, many from the Old Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Home opened in Jacksonville in 1893 to care for aging and disabled veterans.
Yellow Bluff Fort
New Berlin Road
Yellow Bluff Fort, built in 1862 as part of the Confederate defense of Jacksonville, is now a state park. In 1950, the United Daughters of the Confederacy erected a monument there to “Confederate defenders of Jacksonville.”